Black Artists Association Upset Michelle Hasn't Worn Black Designers...

*scroll down for my 2 cents*

via WWD
FIRST LADY UNDER FIRE
Amid all the praise of First Lady Michelle Obama’s fashion choices for the inaugural festivities, the Black Artists Association is taking her to task for not wearing anything by an African American designer. Cofounder Amnau Eele said Wednesday she will make a formal appeal to the First Lady’s office on behalf of the BAA. “It’s fine and good if you want to be all ‘Kumbaya’ and ‘We Are the World’ by representing all different countries. But if you are going to have Isabel Toledo do the inauguration dress, and Jason Wu do the evening gown, why not have Kevan Hall, B Michael, Stephen Burrows or any of the other black designers do something too?” Eele said. The BAA leader was a runway model in her own right for Yves Saint Laurent, Giorgio Armani, Bill Blass and others.

Asked if perhaps the First Lady isn’t looking at the world colorlessly, Eele said, “It’s one thing to look at the world without color but she had seven slots to wear designer clothes. Why wasn’t she wearing the clothes of a black designer? That was our moment.”


MY 2 CENTS:
Here's the thing. People who assume that they are "entitled" to something always rub me wrong. Like I tell my god-child, you don't get what you want by whining about it. The sense of entitlement by the BAA is thick in the article above and I just think it's unfortunate. I sincerely believe that Michelle is not picking designers based on their race or gender, I honestly think she's picking what she genuinely likes, and from what I've seen her wear so far, she has very unique and ecclectic taste. The fact that the Black Artists Association felt like the Inauguration of the First African American President was also "their moment" to be showcased and spotlighted as black designers, and on top of all that, gave an outspoken and resentful sounding interview to Women's Wear Daily about it, speaks volumes... and not in a good way. I mean, is it honestly Michelle Obama's job to single handedly launch the careers of Black designers just because she's black? Where is it written that it's Michelle's obligation and duty to do so? The way I look at it is like this, the Obama's will be the First Family for the next 4 years, possibly 8, with hundreds if not thousands of public appearances scheduled. Why not work hard, be persistent, determined, focused, have a little faith and let your work speak for itself?

 In the timely words of American essayist and psychologist Og Mandino:
“Each day is a special gift from God, and while life may not always be fair, you must never allow the pains, hurdles, and handicaps of the moment to poison your attitude and plans for yourself and your future. You can never win when you wear the ugly cloak of self-pity, and the sour sound of whining will certainly frighten away any opportunity for success. Never again. There is a better way.”

Comments

Sarah Martina said…
Chanel, I couldn't agree with your comments more. It is not Michelle Obama's job to showcase black designers, NOR is it her obligation. I'm so disappointed in this woman's comments. And this isn't the first or only group to voice such a message as this. Unfortunately, I feel like we'll be seeing a lot of this from our black family throughout Obama's presidency. Barack Obama is not our meal ticket, not in the way the BAA suggests. This false sense of entitlement is just NOT becoming of anyone. What ever happened to working your way to the top? I hope the Obama's don't entertain this foolishness.
Angelique said…
Wow...the audacity...I am quite sure that Michelle will not give credence to the antics of this organization. Why respond and fuel the nonsense further? The best response is to not respond and continue focusing on more important things on her tickler. This is ridiculous and as Sarah mentioned this will not be the last...I am kinda like Michelle...I don't like anything simply because it is...by someone that looks like me...I like what I like simple as that and I have no one to impress or prove anything to and likewise our First Lady...

P.S....Thanks for letting me know where those green gloves came from, I was on the net frantically looking for those gloves but, much to my chagrin...the J.Crew items were tailor made for the 'First Gals'... :( green's my favorite color!

-Missy
Chanel (nbr5) said…
I read somewhere that the green J. Crew gloves that Michelle wore are gonna be available to the masses Fall '09.
Ondo Lady said…
These comments really annoy me. On a day of such historic and sociological importance this is all they can think about? It is wrong on so many levels. Michelle is entitled to wear what she pleases and as a woman of style she goes for clothes that suit her. It is not her job to elevate Black designers or patronise them. Do Black people only buy clothes from only Black designers? No!!! Talk about trivialising what was a momentous occasion.